Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"What happens in Vegas, stays on Facebook"


I was very excited to attend the event, “What happens in Vegas, stays on Facebook.” Being an avid Facebook user myself I was interested to learn what people in the professional world had to say about Facebook, and how my Facebook decisions will affect me in the future. The first presentation, by Emily Lenard of WiredWI, was basically a tutorial on how to manage the privacy settings on Facebook. Learning about the option of creating lists that can control what specific people on your face book see was the most helpful part for me in the first section. Now knowing this, I know I still have the option to put up whatever materials I want, and customize what each of my friends is able to see. This will definitely help protect my future reputation with perspective employers who often base character judgments on materials posted on online social media profiles.

The second part of the presentation was even more beneficial for myself. This section of the presentation focused mainly on the networking, social media website Linkedin. Linkedin is just recently coming into popularity among many people in the business world. Presenter Katie Felten of MKElive gave us a very informative tour of the site, showing everything from how to present yourself professionally on your profile to how to make connections with other users and use that to your benefit. Overall this was the most helpful for me because I am not particularly familiar with Linkedin and it will be a great business networking tool to have in my belt in the future.

Overall this was THE most interesting presentation I have attended yet at this university, and better yet, I actually learned some things!

No comments:

Post a Comment